The Kpop Star in Disguise


The Kpop Star in Disguise 
Photo
Rain beats against my window beckoning me outside. It’s been showering off and on for the past few days taking the paralyzing bite of summer heat away—in other words my type of weather. I shuffle around my dark cluttered room searching for my yellow rain boots. I keep forgetting to remind mom to get a new lamp in here, but I’ve gotten so good at seeing in the dark (cat-vision) that I don’t really need it anymore. Boarding up the only window in my room that expels all sunlight probably didn’t help my case either. I find one shoe among the pile of clothes on my closet floor and the other trapped under my bed along with the hundreds of old children’s books that I refuse to throw away. I get so bored sometimes when Abby and Rico (my two closest friends) can’t come over or when I can’t get a good enough internet signal downstairs to use my phone, so what else what would I do? Even though I’ll be eighteen in three weeks my mom still doesn’t trust me to have company when she’s not here, (which means never because she’s never home). Mom is too scared I’ll get kidnapped if I go outside, so I’m not allowed to leave the house; she leaves me no other choice but to wait until she leaves the house to have any social life. I always sneak friends in my house to hang out and even though I’ve almost got caught doing that a number of times, I’m really sneaky and ninja-like so she’s still clueless. Plus, what-ever noise she heard that sounded like a kid jumping through the kitchen window, I can blame it on the Ghost that likes to lure around. I named the ghost Sam, he likes to bite me and mom in our sleep sometimes. The trials of being an only child, I tell ya’.  I turn around and look at Mr. Cat curled up on my bed, his bright green eyes staring into my dark brown ones. This is why Mr. Cat is my favorite out of all ten of my other cats. He’s the only one who gets to sleep on my bed (special treatment) because he’s so attentive. Yosh! I’m so sick of staring at the grey walls all day, thank God almighty I’m free at last! I pick up my jacket and umbrella on the way out my apartment door.
I take a deep breath of cool fresh air while walking along the city sidewalk. Ah, the temperature is perfect! I wonder why no one else enjoys this comforting weather. Instead business men (probably on their lunch break) buzz around like bees trying to get away from the rain so their subway sandwiches don’t get wet. I can’t help but laugh out loud; they’re acting like it’s the end of the world even though it’s only drizzling now. Finally I walk out of the central metropolitan area with all the tall buildings into a homier yet historic environment. I love walking this way: I get to ogle at all the impressive old houses that look so cool and 18 century- like. In the distance I can see my favorite park in Richmond—Greenhill. I begin the steep hike up the green hill toward the park that’s overlooking much of the city sky-line and the bustling Great Red River. When I’m on the top of the hill, I notice there’s nobody here. Yes! I have the whole park to myself, peace and quiet. As I approach my usual spot on the bench near the edge of the park where a huge willow tree watches near-by, I notice that I’m not the only one here today after all.
It appears a tall figure in a droopy beige hat is sitting on the bench, soaked to the bone. The man doesn’t notice me creep up behind him until I hold out my rainbow umbrella to protect his dripping frame.
“I love the rain as much as anybody, but you’re asking for a cold or pneumonia or something if you don’t have at least this to protect you,” I say looking down at the stranger. The stranger noticeably jumps (startled to say the least) then turns around so he can see who’s nagging him. It’s a young Asian guy that doesn’t look too much older than me. Full lips, pale skin, sharp jaw line, wet medium length black hair stuck on his smooth face, sparkly dark eyes, this man is gorgeous. I’m trying not to hyperventilate while staring crazily into his face, although I am pretty good at keeping a straight face at times like this. However, that was before he smiled at me. His smile is so wide and child-like that it lit up his whole face and eyes as he smiled. Oh goodness, let’s just say I might have drooled some. He starts to chuckle. His voice is deep and his laugh is so cute!
“Thanks, but if I take your umbrella you’ll get sick,” the hot stranger replied. He had a little accent but his English was decent. He looks either Korean or Japanese, probably Korean. I smile back not losing eye contact with him while walking over to the right side of the bench. Rain starts to hit him again until I sit right next to him. I notice his bulky frame is composed of solid muscle.
“I guess we’ll have to share then,” I say, smiling up at him. Wow, I didn’t think he was that much taller than me.
“As you wish,” he replies smirking, referencing the Princess Bride. My eyebrows’ shoot up,
“You read the Princess Bride? I love that book!” I laugh.
“More like saw the movie a long time ago in Korean subtitles. That’s the only line I remember,” he chuckles, his eyes doing that attractive smiley thing.
“Oh,” I say a little disappointed “the movie was good too.” Then I remember something. I jump out of my seat and close the umbrella up and point it at him and I stand in a fighting position. “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die,” I say in a dangerous Spanish draw. At first the stranger looks shocked then confused then he burst out laughing, nearly spitting at me in the process. I start to laugh a little to “That’s my favorite line in the movie.”
He nods through his fits of laughter, “very memorable reenacting.” I sit next to him again but I didn’t put the umbrella up because it stopped raining.
“I try” I say pompously but in a joking manner. We both settle down, resting into a comfortable silence looking at the high river that turned brown because of all the rain recently and the bridge with cars splashing along, and the other bridge in the distance with a long train carrying coal, and the tall buildings to the east. “The city looks best at night, but this scenery looks best during the twilight hour,” I remark. The stranger nods.
“I just notice the rain stopped,” the stranger says wonderingly. Sunlight streams through the clouds illuminating the river. “It’s pretty.”
“Oh yeah, why were you out in the rain by yourself anyways?” I ask. The man pauses then sighs.
“You look uncomfortable. You don’t have to you tell me you know, I was just curious.” I say defensively.
“No, no, it’ not that,” he says “It’s just that it’s kind of a long story.”
“I got time if you got time,” I say looking at him expectantly.
“Well, it wasn’t raining when I left the hotel, if I’d known I would have brought an umbrella.”
“Hotel? You don’t live here?”
“No, my permanent residence is in Korea, I’m living in America for a few months for business.”
“Oh that’s cool, why’d you pick this old medium-sized city to do business in instead of New York or L.A?”
“Richmond is a nice place, its right next to D.C and I could easily get to N.Y or Atlanta from here. I also have a friend who is from here and he never stops talking about how great his hometown is, and I wanted someplace kind of quiet, so I decided to try this place out.”
“Oh I see.” I say nodding my head “Sorry I asked so many questions.”
“No I’m used to it. Kind of made me feel like I was in an interview though,” the stranger says looking at the grey sky. I feel kind of bad about that even though what he said was kind of weird. I guess my emotions registered on my expression because he laughs nervously and says, “I was just kidding.” I didn’t really know what to say after that. “Now, can I ask you some questions?”
“Shoot”
“May I have your name please?”
“It’s Candy,” I say looking up at him, “what’s yours?” For a second he looks uncomfortable again but he just says,
“You can call me Rain.” The comfortable silence stretches on a little until Rain checks his expensive-looking gold watch and his slightly slanted eyes widens.
“I didn’t realize it was getting this late I’m going miss my appointment with my old friend,” he says standing up. I stand up too.
“That’s okay, I’ll see you later, Rain,” I smile.
“It was nice meeting you, Candy,” he smiles warmly at me. Wet drops of rain drip from my shoulder-length braids. I stick out my hand and watch it fill up with water as the stranger gets smaller in the distance. It’s raining again. I gasp. I run toward the retreating figure. When I get close enough to him I call out,
“Rain!” he turns back surprised. “You forgot something,” I say holding out my rainbow umbrella to him.
“I can’t accept this. I’m already drenched so it doesn’t matter.”
“I could walk you back to wear you’re staying so we both don’t get wet,” I suggest.  Rain looks around a few times and I can see he’s weighing his options.
“The hotel I’m staying in is pretty far away, it’ll be a long walk,” he warns.
“Which hotel is it?”
“Jefferson Hotel”
“Oh fancy,” I smirk (that hotel is really big and expensive) “I have to pass there on the way home regardless.”
“Alright. Thank you.” We continue to walk down the sidewalk.
“Its okay” I say in Korean. He turns to me his eyebrows raised.
“You speak Korean?” he asks in his native tongue, his voice high in surprise.
“A little, I can understand it better than speaking it. My Japanese is better though.”
“You know Japanese too? How do you know these languages?” he exclaims in Korean, fully rejuvenated.
“Well, I took Japanese for four years in high school and I studied Korean on my own through the internet and books at the library.”
“Wow, you’re smarter than you look,” he says jokingly. I give him a look. “I mean, you look very smart.” I smile. “But really, most students in high school aren’t interested in Asian languages, especially Korean, so why are you?” he asks seriously with a hint of curiosity in his voice.
“My dad is somewhere in Korea. Even though he’s African-American he’s probably fluent in Korean by now. Probably has another family. My mom and Dad never dated they just had a one night stand then lost contact. My dad doesn’t even know I exist but I want to go to Korea and find him,” I say in a quiet determined voice.
“Oh I’m sorry,” Rain whispers in concern. I sigh deeply.
“It’s fine.” I answer back, “but anyways, my uncle on my mother’s side lives in Japan. He works there in the automobile industry. He has a wife and kid there and tells me all about Japan. He even tries to set me up with Japanese guys, we normally talk through Facebook. I met a lot of friends that way. Hopefully I will get to visit them soon. I also like anime, so why not learn Japanese?”
“Yeah, wow, that’s pretty interesting actually.”
“Oh look we’re here already,” I point at the gleaming Jefferson Davis Hotel.
“Oh”
“It was nice meeting you,” I say starting to continue my walk to my house.
“Wait a minute,” he says grabbing my wrist “I mean” he chuckles embarrassed and puts his hand back in his soaked jean pocket “It’s getting dark. Maybe I should walk you home.”
“Alright.” We get to my apartment door in about twenty minutes. “Thanks for walking me home.”
“No problem. Well I should get going, bye.”
“Wait,” I say. “It’s still raining. Here, you take my umbrella.” I can see Rain start to protest. “Just give it back later.”
“Then I’ll need your number. In order contact you so I can give you your umbrella back,” Rain explains.
“Okay. You just tell me your number and I’ll text you when I get inside so you’ll have mine.”
“Alright. It’s (XXX-XXXX). Are you sure you’re going to remember that?”
“Of course, I have a good memory,” I smile “see you soon then.” Then I turn around and run inside.
I can’t believe that just happened. Four pairs of cat eyes glow in the darkness. I turn the lights on downstairs. I don’t know why mom always wants things so neat when she’s hardly here to enjoy the cleanliness of her apartment (except for my room of course). Baby Gangster (a hard-core kitten I found chasing a puppy in an ally) purrs against my leg when I enter while Aphrodite (a really ugly feline) and Shoelaces meow for food. Aphrodite I can understand, she’s always been so skinny, but shoelaces doesn’t need any more food ever. He’s the fattest cat in the house. Funny Bone is sleeping on the couch as usual, his lazy tail. Mr. Cat is sitting tall on the steps staring at me. I shuffle my way over to the laundry room and get out the cat food to fill their bowls. There you go. Now you can all leave me alone. I run up the steps and get out my phone that’s on the dresser.  I save Rain to my contact list and message him ‘Be safe and don’t get sick.’ I slip out of my wet sweatpants and red t-shirt and thrown it in the hamper and pull on my old Jimmy Neutron pajamas. Plopping on my twin-sized bed, I look at the purple ceiling with my outdated pink flip-phone (my only Christmas gift from mom last year) in my hand waiting for Rain to text back. I’m so exhausted yet excited I don’t even want to get up to fix any food. Ah, my legs are so tired. I’m going to have to rest for a few days. I hear the door open and close downstairs. That’s strange, mom must have left her second job early. I hear her heavy footsteps echo up the stairs (She’s always been a heavy-set woman. Good thing she’s curvy to compensate).The only thing I inherited from her was her big butt and taste in art. To my surprise, instead of going to her room she opens my door (she normally never steps foot in my room since it’s so junky and I refuse to clean it).
“Candy are you awake?” she asks sweetly. I frown.
“Yeah,” I say sitting up “What’s going on?” I say a little on edge.
“Oh, I was just wondering if you were hungry. I can cook you some dinner,” mom says sitting beside me on the bed. Now I’m really scared.
“Why? What’s wrong? You hadn’t cooked for me in ages,” I say confused. She sighs.
“I know,” she says as she grabs my small hands, “I’ve been thinking about a lot of things lately and I want to start spending more time with you. You’re almost 18 and soon you’ll be off to college. Then you’ll probably find yourself a man and get married and settle down somewhere on your own. I don’t have much time left to keep you as my little girl,” mom says squeezing my hand. Tears well up in both our eyes.  Her soothing voice really knows how to work its way into people’s hearts.
“Okay Mom,” I whisper trying not to cry. She hugs me and for once I feel really comforted in her arms.
“You like spaghetti right?” she asks. I nod my head. “Alright, I’ll go fix some.” Then my mom gets up and when she’s at the door way she says, “I’ll call you when dinner’s ready,” then walks down stairs. I’m too shocked for words. I can’t remember the last time mom has been that sweet and attentive to me. She must have found a new boyfriend. I’m just thinking about that spaghetti though, hmm, and I’m starving too. I’m going to eat good tonight! Whenever mom cooks its good. She should’ve been a chef instead of a hair stylist and cashier at Wal-Mart.

Zzzz, my phone vibrates signaling a text message. It must be from my new friend! I look at the text message it says ‘don’t worry about me, my immune system is like Westley’s, I’d never get sick, even if I drank poison.” I smile looking at the text message. I don’t text him back because I don’t want to come across as needy. I think I’ll just take a nap until mom calls me to dinner. It’s been a good day after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ch. 4: The Meal with the Watchers (The Watcher of Many Wonders)

The Watcher of Many Wonders Chapter 3: Meeting Zion

The Watcher of Many Wonders Ch. 2 The Spiritual Attack