Ch. 4: The Meal with the Watchers (The Watcher of Many Wonders)



Reine
I head to the right side of the long dinner table where Monica sits while Dad lounges at the head of the table facing the main entrance.
Monica stands so I can embrace her slender frame. Her pink lips are curved in a smile as she greets me.
“This is Chrissy,” I introduce my new intern while pushing her lightly freckled shoulders toward my sister.
“I’ve heard much about you already,” Monica says and they hug each other. Maybe she heard something from Zion or God, because I didn’t say too much.
“Cool,” she replies but there’s confusion in her expression. “Your pink dreads are gorgeous by the way,” Chrissy compliments my older sister while staring at her waist-long locks piled on the top of her head in a messy bun.
“Aw thank you,” Monica giggles. I roll my eyes in good faith wondering how many times people have complimented her on her looks when Zion bursts through the door with a bright smile on his face. He has Dad’s height and shining eyes but Mom’s flawless, dark skin. He gives me and Monica his usual bear hug.
“What’s up my lovely sisters?” He asks playfully picking us off the ground. We laugh a little. “We missed you at the barn Reine” he says gently tugging my purple tipped hair.
“You know smelly barn work is not my calling. I’m the manager of the shop not the grounds keeper,” I jokingly smack his hand away.
“I prefer the term up and coming landscape artist.” I take my seat.
“Hey Chrissy,” Zion says softly considering his usual rugged voice. He peers straight into Chrissy’s bubbly eyes.
“Hey,” Chrissy says faintly. Her face is less expressive than normal. They stare at each other awkwardly but don’t say anything else.
“Let me see you son. I haven’t seen you all day,” Dad calls him. The pair breaks eye contact and Chrissy makes her way over to my side of the table to sit down next to me.
Zion leans down to hug Dad. “How was work at the general assembly?” he asks.
“I enjoyed it. It was as unpredictable as usual.” Everyone chuckles at his corny pun. He has such a way with words.
“Where’s Ma?” Zion asks looking around.
“She should be right out,” Fukumi says next to the doorway of the kitchen. Ma enters from the kitchen door with her full, golden skirt and linen blouse.
“Good evening my precious children,” Ma says gracefully walking towards the head of the dinner table.
“Hi Ma,” we all reply to her. She gently grabs Dad’s solid shoulders and squeezes them affectionately.
        “Love you John,” she says leaning closer to his bag-covered face.
“Love you too Gloria,” he says while turning around to look into to her small eyes; his hand grasps hers. I look down at my empty plate trying not to watch the passionate power going on between my parents.
“Well who’s this pretty young lady?” my mom says slowly swaying over to where Chrissy  and I are sitting. Chrissy stands up. My mom looks at her up and down.
“I’m Chrissy,” she says sticking out her hand.
“Chrissy welcome,” she says clasping Chrissy’s extended hand in both of her own “I’m Mrs. Watcher.”
“Thank you.”
“Please honey sit down,” Ma says swaying to the end of the table opposite my Dad. As soon as they sit my Mom says “It’s time for dinner.” As soon as she utters these words two servants come out of the kitchen with platters of a Korean dish called jjajangmyun along with the side dishes of kimchi, pickled radish, and seaweed. I lick my lips. I’m going to enjoy this food Jesus.
When I’m in the zone slurping up the noodles that’s in my bowl, I glance up to find Zion’s eyes focused not on his half-eaten food but on Chrissy who’s likewise staring back. What’s going on here?
“So Chrissy,” Ma says shifting the dinner topic. “Do we need to call your parents to let them know you’re safe?”
“No ma’am. My dad died a long time ago, and my mom… she converted too many members of a Hopewell coven for them not to react violently,” Chrissy quietly responded with her hands balled up tightly in her lap. Then she sighs, “My parents live in heaven.”
“Well let your heart be comforted, I’m sure they are having a ball there. Heaven is a wonderful spiritual planet, our heavenly Father lives there after all. Did you throw a fun promotion party for them?” Ma asks twirling some noodles around her fork like one would spaghetti.
I cringe because of Ma’s question. Sure, it’s common to throw a promotion party instead of a funeral, but maybe not for people who died so tragically. At Grandma Ruth’s promotion party I wasn’t as celebratory as expected since I couldn’t stop pondering over her unfinished last words or guilt tripping that it was all my fault that she didn’t have time to finish them.
My talent for music stemmed from Grandma Ruth. She was the first to teach me the piano and violin and insisted on being my tutor rather than any of the high class teachers that we could certainly afford. One of the highlights of my day was when she sung while I played her crystal piano after school.
One day after school Grandma Ruth reached into her pocket and layed the pamphlet for Consuming Fire Music School on my sheet stand. “You should apply sweetie,” she said kindly. The cover sported the très belle private school building of the most prestigious high school for music. I sighed.
“You taught me well but I don’t know if I’m that good yet,” I said while I slid the pamphlet back towards her.
“Yes you are and you know it,” she said with assertion and scooted beside me on the crystal bench. “What’s the real reason you don’t want to go?”
“Consuming Fire is two hours away in Washington DC. I’m only 13. How can I leave you and Many Wonders? I’ll have college for that,” I said crossing my arms.
“Are you telling me that you’re passing up one of the best opportunities of your life because you’re afraid to leave your family? When Queen Esther was your age she had to distance herself from her only surviving family in order to run after her destiny.”
“I’m not afraid of just losing my family. I’m afraid of losing you.” I hugged my grandma and tears formed in my eyes.
“This is about my cancer diagnosis isn’t it?” she asks. I nodded as my head rested on her shoulder.
“Don’t be afraid. Have faith and everything will be okay,” she said.
“Not exactly, but I’m happy that they’re happy,” Chrissy answers Ma picking at her food with her chopsticks.
“Are you going back to high school next fall?” Monica asks.
“Yeah, I’m going on my junior year.”
“Oh! That’s good. So you must be around fifteen or sixteen?” Mrs. Watcher asks.
“Sixteen.”
“You’re right behind Zion. He’s 17. My son is going to be a senior next year at Gateway, the superb Christian charter school of the arts and sciences.” Ma informs Chrissy.
“Do you plan on attending the arts campus at Gateway to develop your gifts?” Monica asks. I hesitate since I just learned that Zion would be going to a different campus.
“Yeah, It would be cool to go to school for art, just to learn more about how to paint, but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary.”
“Monica is friends with a well accomplished painter who lives downtown. I’m sure she can take you under her wing,” Mom suggests.
“Yeah, I’ll give Grace a call to show you a few pointers,” Monica says smiling at Chrissy.
“I’m sure I can pull some strings and employ an art professor from VCU to be your personal art professor once the fall starts, or even send you to a school of art if God is willing,” my dad interjects.
“Thank you. Are you sure? I don’t want to impose,” Chrissy says blushing.
“Not only that but I insist that you attend Spirit Realm Boot Camp. Reine, Zion, and Monica will be attending,” Ma says.
“Sounds good,” Chrissy says in a daze.
After Chrissy gets ready for bed, I knock on her door to check on her.
“Hey girl,” Chrissy says to me smiling “oh maybe I shouldn’t call you girl. How old are you anyway?”
“Eighteen,” I say walking in her bedroom “but hey anyway” I laugh. “I wanted to ask what was that at dinner?” I twirl around on her rolly chair.
“What do you mean?” Chrissy says with a grin. I throw my head back in fake exasperation and look back at her.
“You and Zion were having a staring match, but I’ll pretend not to notice if you want me to.”
“What really? I didn’t even notice” Chrissy says earnestly.
“Seriously?” I ask.
“Yeah, it must have been a blank stare. My eyes might have been focused on his face but my mind was somewhere else,” she explains twirling her fingers together.
“Hmm,” I say contemplating. “Okay. Remember when you asked me about the vision I had about you?” I change the subject.
“Yeah. What was it about?” Chrissy hugs her knees.
“Jesus appeared to me last night and told me he wanted to train up someone to do our Father’s business. And the Holy Spirit confirmed that someone is you. I start working in the shop tomorrow morning at 8. I want you to come with me. What do you say?”
“I say thank you Jesus for my prayers being answered,” Chrissy looks up at the ceiling for a moment “I’ve been asking Him for a mentor that would help me with my destiny for a long time.” I smile and squeeze her soft hand.
“I’m surely glad and honored to be the answer to someone’s prayer.”
“Do you have anointing oil to initiate me?” she asks. “Never mind I have some.” Then she rummages through her desk drawer beside her bed. She throws a one-third-empty bottle of anointing oil to me and I catch it in the air. I look at her questioningly. “Can you anoint me? My mom used to do it all the time before I went to bed.”
“Sure,” I respond opening the small bottle of anointing oil. A sweet, flowery aroma invades my nose from the bottle. It reminds me of the smell of the presence of Jesus. She closes her eyes and holds out her open hands. I put some of the oil on my finger and place it on her forehead with the shape of a cross and pray out loud “Bless her and cover her in the blood of Jesus.” I anoint the palms of her hands and pray, “Protect her Lord and use her for your good in Many Wonders, in Kings Crossing and in the Kingdom Age. Thank You Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit.”
Chrissy opens her eyes again. “Amen. It’s officiel. I’m your intern,” she says.
“I’m looking forward to our adventure,” I tell her and head back to my room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Watcher of Many Wonders Chapter 3: Meeting Zion

The Watcher of Many Wonders Ch. 2 The Spiritual Attack