My Inspiration to Study Abroad


 Click, Flash, in a dash,
A part of the world frozen in space,

The image of a student
In the mountains of Chili,

Swish, the wind from the next page
Hits my smiling cheek,

A whole new set of time capsles,
Of adventures, of people, of places to see

In my hand, a book, an aset, of stemming avenues,
Picked from a table in the study abroad department.

If the frozen world if the pictures could thaw, and if I could step into them,
I would pick up that rock on Mount Sini beside that student’s foot

I would place it in my pocket and hop to the next picture in Vietnam
And eat the notorious Durian fruit and collect its seeds to plant it in my back yard.

Leaping off the edge of the durian grove, Splash,
I would dive into the waves of Capetown

And tuck a sea shell in my backpack
South Africa would be so striking,

University of Johannesburg’s fiction writing courses
Would teach me to do my calling

I think I made up my mind.
I would translate back into reality,

Jump up and burst the door open
Of the study abroad office to say

“Take me to South Africa,

my seashell is calling.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ch. 4: The Meal with the Watchers (The Watcher of Many Wonders)

The Watcher of Many Wonders Chapter 3: Meeting Zion

The Watcher of Many Wonders Ch. 2 The Spiritual Attack