New Life in Vietnam (A Screenplay)

Tiya Booker
New Life in Vietnam
Image result for ho chi minh city

FADE IN:

EXT. PASSENGER PLANE. SKY. VIETNAM. DAY.

A passenger plane is traveling through the sky which is filled with white, fluffy clouds. FAITH, age 24, black woman, is seen looking out of one of the windows with an exited smile. She is from Georgia, has very dark skin, and is pretty. The plane lands in Ho Chi Min City.

Faith is descending down the steps of the plane in a sun dress and a flowery hat. When she is on the ground, RICHARD, age 20, who was behind her holds her hand. They have on complementary wedding rings. Richard is from Vermont and is tall, blue-eyed, and has blond hair. 

INT. APARTMENT BUILDING. DISTRICT SEVEN. DAY.

Richard pays an old Vietnamese man the equivalent of 250 dollars in Vietnamese dong for the rent for July. The landlord bows to Richard, but Richard just smiles and laughs awkwardly in return. Faith bows to the landlord and thanks him in Vietnamese.

INT. OUTSIDE THE DOOR OF FAITH AND RICHARD’S FLAT. DAY.

Faith turns the doorknob and Richard helps her push the door open. They both look into the flat without moving. The flat is spacious, white, and clean with big windows. The flat is only furnished with a bed. Light streams from the window.

Faith looks at her husband.
FAITH
Let’s start our new life.

They smile and take their first step through the threshold. 


INT. FAITH AND RICHARD’S FLAT. SIX WEEKS LATER. NIGHT.

Faith opens the door to the flat and slowly enters the furnished flat. She’s gloomy. She plops on the bed. The curtains are closed. Richard turns from his computer that he was using to apply for electrical engineering job positions.

RICHARD
How’d your interview go?

FAITH
Don’t ask. Did you find anything? 

RICHARD
(SARCASTIC)
It turns out knowing Vietnamese is a requirement for most of the electrical engineering jobs here. Reading English alone is hard enough for me. I’m never trusting YouTube for reliable information again. So much for plan B.

FAITH
Don’t worry, Rich. You’ll find something. There’s got to be another position for you since your first job offer fell through.

RICHARD
(STRESSED)
It’s been six weeks. Our savings isn’t going to last forever. We don’t even have enough money for plane tickets back home at this point.

Faith nods somberly. Richard crawls beside Faith on the bed and hugs her in a comforting manner. 

RICHARD
I just can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want to hire you. You’d be a great English teacher. You’re smart and great with kids. Half the teachers here don’t have a bachelor’s degree, but you double majored in English and Asian Studies!

FAITH
(UPSET)
Thanks baby. But I know why I can’t find a job, and you wouldn’t believe it.

FLASH BACK

EXT. STREET. CITY. DAY.

Faith is riding a rented motorbike with a suit on. She is among the usual heavy and chaotic traffic that consists mainly of other motorbikes. She rides to a large, white middle school and parks her motorbike there.

INT. GIANG MIDDLE SCHOOL. DAY.

Faith walks up to the RECEPTIONIST. She is a young Vietnamese woman.

RECEPTIONIST
(IN ENGLISH)
Hello. How may I help you?

FAITH
(In Vietnamese)
Hello, I’m Faith Parks. I have an interview with Mr. Due.

RECEPTIONIST
(SURPRISED)
Oh, you’re Mrs. Parks? I thought Mr. Due was expecting an American, not an African.

FAITH
(IN ENGLISH)
I am American.

INT. MR. DUE’S OFFICE. DAY.

MR. DUE is a middle aged Vietnamese Man with glasses and a declining hairline. He flips through Faith’s papers and resume.

MR. DUE
(IN ENGLISH)
I am very impressed with your skills and background. I see that you graduated from Spelman college, a prestigious school in Georgia. You also completed your Teaching English as a Foreign Language certificate online. You even have experience with kids by working as a councilor at a YMCA.

Faith sits up straight and smiles confidently.

MR. DUE
Seeing that you are qualified, I would be happy to offer you a job at Giang middle school.
    
FAITH
Thank you, so much sir. I can assure you that—

MR. DUE
But unfortunately I cannot.

FAITH
(CONFUSED)
What? Why?

MR. DUE
Unfortunately, a lot of the parents of the students are ignorant about the diversity in the West. They expect the English teacher to look more Western. You know, Americans with fairer skin.

Faith clenches her cross necklace, as she clenches her teeth.

MR. DUE
If it was up to me and the school board we would love to have you work for us, but the last time we hired a dark-skinned black woman the parents were upset. It has been a distraction to the students in the past. Many students were afraid.

Faith stands up from her seat. Her eyes narrowed.
FAITH
(SARCASTIC)
Thank you for your time.

FAITH (V.O.)
(TO RICHARD)
Then I left. I spent a lot of time blogging at the library after that.


END OF FLASH BACK.

INT. FAITH AND RICHARD’S HOUSE. NIGHT.

Richard hugs his wife closer to him, and kisses her on the lips.

RICHARD
Faith, I’m so sorry that happened.

FAITH
Mmm-hmm.

RICHARD
Listen. You’re beautiful. Don’t ever feel ashamed   about your skin color.

FAITH
I’m not ashamed, just frustrated.

RICHARD
Oh?

FAITH
(HALF JOKING)
I feel even more out of place here than when I visited your parents in your little, country home town. Not to mention it has been forever since we went to church.

RICHARD
(LAUGHS)
I feel more out of place here than when I visited your family in Atlanta.

They chuckle together for a moment. A quiet moment passes between them.
FAITH
Maybe you should’ve stayed at the oil rig. I don’t know if living here to save money while we get on our feet is really going to work out. You know it was my dream come true to live here, but it’s turning into a nightmare.  

RICHARD
Baby, it’ll work out. By the end of the day tomorrow one of us will have a job. I promise.


INT. TRAN’S FLAT. TABLE. DAY.

TRAN lives in the flat beside Richard and Faith’s flat. She is a twenty-three-year old math teacher. She’s become a helpful friend to Richard and Faith. She knows English well, because studied abroad for a year in Australia.

Tran and Faith are having an authentic Vietnamese lunch with a raw egg in the soup.
FAITH
Thank you for inviting me over Tran.

TRAN
No problem. It’s best to eat with a friend when your husband is at work.

FAITH
He’s still looking for a job.

TRAN
Don’t worry, there are many opportunities here. Speaking of jobs, I have good news for you. One of our English teachers at Quan High School quit yesterday, and this morning I put in a good word for you. I can almost guarantee you a job this time. Just apply.

Faith puts down the bowl of noodles that she was eating. She jumps up and hugs Tran.

FAITH
Are you serious? Thank you so much. That’s awesome. Thank God.

TRAN
(LAUGHS)
It was lucky that that other teacher quit.

CONTINUED

There’s a nock on the door.

RICHARD (V.O.)
Hi Tran, how are you?

Tran
Good, how are you?

RICHARD (V.O.)
Great. Is Faith in there?
Faith looks at Tran.
TRAN
(TO FAITH)
You can get the door for Richard.

FAITH
(TO RICHARD)
Yes, I’m coming.

Faith opens the door. As soon as she does. Rich picks her up and swirls her around. Faith laughs, pleasantly surprised.

FAITH
What’s going on? Why are you this excited?

RICHARD
Looks like God answered our prayers. I got a job.

Faith screams with delight.
FAITH
That’s fantastic Rich. I don’t know how this day could get any better. Which electrical engineering company are you working for?

RICHARD
None.

FAITH
Huh?

RICHARD
I got a job as an English teacher at Quan High School.

FAITH
(SIMULTANEOUSLY)
Quan High School?

TRAN
(SIMULANEOUSLY)
Quan High School?

RICHARD
Yes, they hired me on the spot, even though I only have a GED and a certificate for electrical engineering. Can you believe that?

TRAN
Congratulations Richard.

Tran sips her tea and casts a worried glance toward Faith.

RICHARD
Thanks Tran. What do ya think Faith? I know it’s not what we planned, but it’s something.

FAITH
That’s great.

Faith suddenly grabs a nearby trashcan and throws up in it. Richard and Tran crowd her and pat her back until she finishes.

RICHARD
Honey, are you okay?

TRAN
What happened?

FAITH
Sorry. It must’ve been the raw egg.

EXT. OUTSIDE MARKET. ONE WEEK LATER. DAY.

Faith scrolls around the market with a big bag of fruit that she collected on her arm. She’s looking at many colorful and vibrantly green vegetables. She picks up some tomatoes and places it in the bag on her other arm.

Faith looks at a fresh, French loaf of bread and picks it up.

FAITH
(IN VIETNAMESE)
How much do I owe you?

MARKET LADY
(IN VIETNAMESE)
Seven dollars.

INT. RICH’S CLASSROOM. DAY.

Rich is in front of his classroom stuttering. He’s writing something on the board.

The assistant teacher helps him write something on the board and lecture.


INT. FAITH AND RICH’S LIVING ROOM. NIGHT.

Faith is making dinner. Richard is sitting on a sofa, frowning over the sprawled essays on the living room table that his students wrote.

Richard sighs and slams the paper that he was reading on the table and sits back in the sofa.

Faith stops chopping fresh vegetables. She sits beside Richard, picks up the paper that he slammed down, and begins reading it out loud.

RICHARD
(GENUINE)
Thanks.

FAITH
No problem.  

RICHARD
Can you help me out with the corrections?

FAITH
Yeah.

RICHARD
I’ll help you with dinner.

They swap positions. Faith reads all the papers and makes corrections while Richard finishes making dinner.

INT. VIETNAMESE CAFÉ. DAY.

Tran and Faith eat sandwiches together. Tran is wearing the suit that she wore at her job. Faith dresses causally in shorts and a white blouse.

TRAN
How’s everything with your husband since he took the job?

FAITH
I don’t know. A bit strained. We both aren’t doing what we are called to do.

TRAN
I heard Richard’s having a tough time adjusting to his position at the school.

FAITH
(CONCERNED)
What? Don’t tell me everyone’s talking about him. Did you hear any rumors that he’s going to get fired?

TRAN
No, no, he’s too handsome for that, very social too. Everyone at the school likes him.

 FAITH
Good. It’s hard enough for Rich. He has Dyslexia. That’s why he likes electrical engineering, he’s a hands on type of guy.

CONTINUED

A waiter takes Faith and Tran’s empty plates.
TRAN
(TO WAITER)
Thank you.

Tran leans her elbows on the table.

TRAN
(TO FAITH)
Aren’t you still looking for a job? You’re usually job hunting during the day.

FAITH
I’m taking a break. I’ve been feeling a little off lately.

 TRAN
I’m sorry about that. Are you doing anything for the holiday weekend?

FAITH
I want to, but I don’t have any plans.

TRAN
Why don’t you and Richard come with me to visit my home town? It would give you a break from the city.

FAITH
Sure, and I bet Richard would love the fresh air.

TRAN
Good. I think you will like it there.

INT. LIVING ROOM. NIGHT.

Richard creaks the front door open. The flat is completely dark. Faith is sitting on the sofa with her arms crossed.

FAITH
Where were you?

RICHARD
Faith, what are you still doing up? You usually crash at 10. It’s already 11:30.

FAITH
Couldn’t sleep, because you wouldn’t answer your phone. What were you doing?

RICHARD
Tran didn’t tell you? I told her to let you know.

FAITH
               No.
RICHARD
Some of my friends from the job invited me to go out drinking with them to celebrate the last day of classes before break.

FAITH
Oh really?

RICHARD
(DEFENSIVE)
Yeah.  

FAITH
(YELLS)
And why didn’t you invite me or at least tell me about it? Do you think I really want to sit in the house bored all day, with no one to talk to except for you and Tran?

RICHARD
(YELLS)
I didn’t know about it until I got to the school. I would’ve told you, but my phone died.

Faith turns her back to him, but Richard forcefully turns her back around. Faith is crying. He hugs her.

RICHARD
(SOFTLY)
I didn’t even think that you’d want to come. You don’t drink. I’m sorry. I shoulda invited you.

Faith nods her head and hugs Richard back.

FAITH
It’s okay.

RICHARD
We’re still going with Tran tomorrow morning right?

FAITH
Yeah.

RICHARD
Okay. Let’s go to bed.

EXT. TRAIN STATION. DAY.

There is a big crowd. Tran, Faith, and Richard board a train to southern Vietnam.

INT. Train. Day.

Faith is sleeping on Richard’s shoulder. Richard is looking out the window. Tran is facing him.

RICHARD
(TO TRAN)
The countryside is beautiful.


TRAN
Yes, it is.

RICHARD
It kind of reminds me of where I’m from.

TRAN
Do you miss it?

RICHARD
Yes, Faith does too. But leaving our homes is the only way that we could be together. Neither one of our parents approved.

TRAN
That must’ve been hard leaving your work and family.

RICHARD
I’d already left my family to work on the oil rigs in Georgia. It was good pay. But after Faith and I met, we couldn't be apart for two weeks at a time while I worked. Faith was also worried that it was too dangerous after a man died in a fire at my oil rig.

TRAN
Oh I see. You both are a good couple. I’m glad you came to Vietnam.

Richard looks at Faith.
RICHARD
I think so too.

INT. TRAN’S FAMILY’S HOME. DAY.

Tran’s family consist of her mother, MRS. NGUYEN, father, MR. NGUYEN, two school-aged sisters, and a young boy. Tran’s grandfather also lives with her family.

Tran’s family is happy to see Tran and her friends.

MRS. NGUYEN
(IN VIETNAMESE)
I’m so glad you’re back Tran, and thank God you are finally bringing home some friends. We were starting to think that you were never going to be social.

TRAN
(IN VIETNAMESE)
Good to see you too, Mom.

Mrs. Nguyen bows to Richard and hugs Faith.
Faith and Richard don’t seem too uncomfortable.

MR. NGUYEN
(IN ENGLISH)
Welcome guests.

FAITH AND RICHARD
Thank you. 

Faith and Richard bow to the elders of the family.

The rest of Tran’s family greets them warmly and offers them Vietnamese food to eat.

INT. GUEST ROOM. DAY.

Tran, Faith, and Richard sleep in the same room because of the lack of extra space. They sleep on traditional mats on the floor.

Tran gets up and brings a tray with breakfast on it.

TRAN
Hey, get up. Breakfast is ready.

FAITH
What time is it?

TRAN
Faith, I want to tell you something important.

FAITH
What is it?

TRAN
It’s about me and my family. Don’t tell anyone back in Ho Chi Min. 

FAITH
Okay.

TRAN
We’re Christians.

FAITH
I had a feeling you were. I saw a bible on your counter one day. I am too, but why didn’t you tell me before?

TRAN
Because it’s taboo. It’s less taboo in this town, but the government makes up for it by arresting our Pastors and teachers and shutting down our “unregistered” churches.

FAITH
Really? I had no idea.

TRAN
My family wants you two to come to our house church. But it’s unregistered.

RICHARD
We’d love to.

Richard smirks lifting up his head. He was clandestinely listening to their conversation the whole time. Faith turns around and playfully smacks him on his shoulder.

FAITH
(SMILES)
I’ve been wanting to go to church.

INT. HOUSE CHURCH. DAY.

Tran’s family and friends are siting on foldable chairs. There are about a hundred people present. The church looks like a nice-sized house. It is an American-style evangelical church. Faith is Baptist.

They sing American Christian songs in Vietnamese, as well as songs that are unfamiliar to Faith.

Tran and Faith help translate what the pastor is saying to Richard.

CONTINUED. AFTER THE SERVICE ENDS.

Tran grabs Faith’s hand.
TRAN
I want you to meet the PASTOR. He is also the principle of the town’s elementary school.

Faith follows Tran to the front of the house.

TRAN
Pastor, this is Faith, an American teacher looking for a job.

FAITH
(EMBARRESED)
Hi Pastor. Wonderful preaching.

PASTOR
Thank you. You know, we’re looking for an English teacher for the elementary school here.

FAITH
Oh, I didn’t know.

PASTOR
We’d be glad to have you if you’re looking to stay in town. I will say that the pay isn’t ideal to support two people however.

FAITH
Oh, wow. Thank you, I wasn’t expecting that. Um. But, what happened to your last English teacher?

PASTOR
He was a native Vietnamese man, but knew English well. He was arrested for converting Animists and Buddhists to Christianity.

Faith looks back at her husband socializing with a middle-aged Vietnamese woman.
FAITH
I’ll have to discuss it with Richard to say for sure. But even if Richard and I can only see each other once every other weekend for a while, I want to take the job.

END OF ACT 1






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ch. 4: The Meal with the Watchers (The Watcher of Many Wonders)

The Watcher of Many Wonders Chapter 3: Meeting Zion

The Watcher of Many Wonders Ch. 2 The Spiritual Attack