The Watcher of Many Wonders Chapter 3: Meeting Zion


Chrissy
Reine opens the mahogany door of Mr. Watcher’s study with Fukumi and I trailing behind her. The door is very beautiful and glossed. The hue of it’s red undertone reminds me of Reine’s complexion. Once we enter the large open room that’s outlined with huge bookshelves filled with literature we walk on the scarlet rug leading to his desk.  
She casually draws near the desk that’s facing away from the entrance of the room where Mr. Watcher’s large chair is turned toward the window completely hiding him from view. “I have someone here to meet you Dad.”
“Yes, Fukumi informed me,” he slowly replies in his baritone voice while getting up from his chair. I gasp as he stands. He must be at least six foot five, but that’s not why I gasped. His full height reveals his bag-covered head from the chair. I try to suppress my surprised giggle but fail. He turns around and takes off the rainbow striped bag. His bright, grey eyes with a blue ring around the irises meet mine. “You must be Chrissy,” Mr. Watcher smiles strolling over here from behind his desk.
“Yes sir,” I respond. The colorful bag that he’s holding competes for my attention. What kind of place did God send me to?
“I’m Mr. Watcher,” he smoothly introduces himself while sticking out his hand.
“It’s an honor to meet you,” I shake his leathery hand. Mr. Watcher leans on the front of his desk to regard me. He chuckles openly.
“You’re wondering why I had a bag on my head aren’t you?” Mr. Watcher states. The skin around his eyes wrinkles up expressing his smile.
I struggle for words for a moment and blurt out “Yes I was.” I admit it in the most respectful way I can. Reine giggles behind her hand along with Mr. Watcher at my statement. “Sorry if I was too abrasive.”
“That’s quite alright. You should be open to people; a flower’s beauty is meant to be seen not hidden under a mask.”
“Thanks,” I laugh shortly.
“The bag has two purposes. It helps me concentrate on God since it blocks out any distractions. I also put it on after God the Father visits me personally because…well it seems kind of indelicate for me to explain this part myself. Reine, can you explain honey?” Mr. Walker asks bashfully.
“Sure,” Reine agrees. “Dad can’t take off the bag until the Glory of God fades from him. His face would be lite up too strongly with the glory of the Lord that it would hurt our eyes to look at him. Not to mention it would freak people out. Also, miracles and miraculous signs would happen all over Kings Crossing or even the central Virginia area if he took it off during that time. People would see children playing with angels and many people would be healed and made whole, which is all good, but like Ecclesiastes 3 says there’s a season for everything and a time for every delight and event or purpose under heaven.” I stare at them in amazement.
“Oh” I say. “I think I understand.” This is so cool. Mr. Watcher is kind of like Moses after he went down from the mountain to talk to God. Mom used to tell me stories about a man like that who lived a long time ago in California.
“Chrissy, you’re welcome to stay here as long as you’re Reine’s intern for however long the Lord wills or until you graduate. We have only one rule. No intentional sin is allowed under my roof,” he says seriously. I gulp and beads of sweat start to form on my forehead. I don’t think I have intentional sin in my life.
“No problem. Thanks,” I say. “Your testimony reminded me of something. I think I read somewhere that you’re in your late eighties, but you don’t look a day past 45. Is that true?”
“Of course. I looked a lot older 20 years ago. Anti-aging is definitely a gift from God,” he casually replies then rolls up the sleeve of his suit to check his watch. I’m stunned. “Time to go.”   
Reine, Fukumi and I follow behind Mr. Watcher to the family dinning room.
“I’ll introduce you to my mom, my sister and my younger brother Zion,” Reine begins to list.
“I’ve already met Zion,” I say lively.
“You did? When?” Reine frowns, confused. I recall my first encounter with Zion.
Boom, boom, boom,” an upbeat knock on my door jolted me awake from my nap. I thought it must’ve been Obadiah.
“Wake up sleeping beauty,” the amused male voice said. I shuffled out of bed and opened the door.
“We got your stuff,” the dark-skinned teenager said with a grinning face. He held up two of the trash bags filled with my belongings to emphasis his statement.
“Thanks,” I said stepping aside to let him and the Middle Eastern guy bring my bags. “I’m guessing you’re Obadiah,” I said pointing to the Arab. “So who’re you?” I point to the good-looking black guy.
        “Zion. Reine’s brother,” he said simply. It makes sense; they have similar facial features and the same grey eyes.
        “Alright you’re good to go my man,” Zion said to Obadiah and they did a cool handshake.
        “Thanks for the help bro,” Obadiah said on the way out the door.
        “I appreciate it,” I called out to him before he left.
        “Don’t mention it. It’s my job,” he said. I opened one of my bags to put away some of my things.
        “You know, I can help you out if you want,” Zion offered. I regarded the four white bags.
        “Uh, I don't really need too much help,” I said and opened another bag that contained all my art supplies. Zion noticed the notebook and canvas painting that I pulled out. It’s my favorite abstract painting of the lion of Judah roaring, full of orange and red color.
        “That’s amazing. You painted that?” Zion asked drawing closer to get a better look at it. I smile shyly.
        “I did.”
        “You’re an artist,” he stated in wonder.
        “That’s what I want to be. I like to sketch things, color using oil pastel and make cute little clay figures too and gloss them with shiny color. Although, my favorite is painting on canvas with the lightwand,” I shared with him. He smiled at me which caused a flutter of butterflies to take off in my gut. Zion started to look around the room and then got up and put his hand on the tall dresser on the opposite wall from my bed.
      “This would be a good place to put your painting,” he grinned. Zion helped me hang the canvas on the wall, so I could look at it once I woke up every morning. We smiled softly at each other then he left to finish helping Obadiah in the stables.
“When you were in the encounter room. Zion and Obadiah brought up my things and we talked a little.”
     “Great. Wait, I thought Zion was tending to the horses in the stables.”
“Yeah that’s why he sent Obadiah back outside.”
“You’ll have to tell me more about it later.” We enter the huge archway to the gold and white themed dining room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ch. 4: The Meal with the Watchers (The Watcher of Many Wonders)

The Watcher of Many Wonders Ch. 2 The Spiritual Attack